Every woman deserves the opportunity to work to support her family without risking the health of her pregnancy.
Yet pregnant workers, especially those in low-wage and physically demanding jobs, are routinely forced to choose between their health and a paycheck. Pregnancy should not be an obstacle in the workplace.
In states and cities across the country, we have helped pregnant women secure a clear right to reasonable workplace accommodations–the same right afforded to workers with disabilities under federal law. We are pushing to expand this right to every corner of the country. A woman’s wellbeing and financial security should not depend upon luck or location.
The Federal Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
In 2019, it is outrageous that pregnant workers are still being pushed off the job Unfortunately, current federal law doesn’t do enough to support pregnant workers, leaving many pregnant workers without recourse.
Fortunately, there is a solution. In 2012, inspired by an A Better Balance Op-Ed in the New York Times, Congress introduced the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act, which would make it clear that employers cannot force pregnant workers off the job or deny them reasonable accommodations that would allow them to continue working while maintaining healthy pregnancies. Congress has re-introduced the PWFA every session since, but we still need to get it over the finish line. Learn more here.
It’s time to pass the PWFA, and ABB is leading a national coalition fighting to make it a reality.
- Take Action: Tell Members of Congress We Need the PWFA Now!
- Learn More: Read our May 2019 report Long Overdue: It Is Time for the Federal Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
- Reach Out: Call our Free, Confidential Legal Hotline if You’re Experiencing Pregnancy Discrimination
State and Local Campaigns
As of June 2019, 26 states and 5 cities have passed stronger protections for pregnant workers. These protections often pass with bipartisan, and often unanimous, support. A Better Balance helps these local campaigns with legislative drafting, messaging, and enforcement, while also leading campaigns in areas where we have support on the ground.
Enforcing the Rights of Pregnant Workers
ABB is dedicated to enforcing the laws we have helped to pass, such as the New York City Pregnant Workers Fairness Act, and ensuring our clients obtain justice when they face discrimination. We are also supporting workers in legal efforts against Walmart and other employers nationwide to highlight legal violations and push for stronger policies, benefitting thousands of workers at a time
To learn more about the need for stronger protections for pregnant workers across the country, visit the ABB Resources section on Pregnant Workers Fairness.
Here you’ll get a wealth of information, including:
- Fact sheets about the federal Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
- How To Talk To Your Boss About Your Bump in every state
- Materials about your rights under the New York City Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
- Where to find help if you suspect pregnancy discrimination on the job
- Up-to-date information on new laws and campaigns around the country advancing fairness for pregnant workers
- An analysis of the Supreme Court’s recent ruling on pregnancy discrimination, Young v. UPS
- Additional web links, reports, advocacy resources, news articles, and more