Workplace Rights Hub
A state by state legal guide to asserting your rights for workers caring for yourself and your loved ones.
Knowledge is power! You shouldn’t have to choose between caring for your health and your family, or your paycheck. There are laws that can help. ABB’s Workplace Rights Hub is your guide to the workplace laws that can help ensure you are free from discrimination and give you the time and support you need as you care for yourself and your loved ones, building on our groundbreaking book and resource Babygate: How to Survive Pregnancy & Parenting in the Workplace.
Find Your State
Select the state where you work to begin understanding and exercising your rights. Under each state, you’ll find five tabs, organized by scenario, on the following types of laws. Please note that some states may not have certain laws. For example, not every state has a paid sick time or paid family and medical leave law:
- Caring for Your Heath: Time Off, Accommodations, & Other Rights: Covers paid sick time, paid medical leave, and job-protected unpaid medical leave if you need time off from work to care for your own health or workplace accommodations.
- Time Off to Care for a Loved One & Other Rights: Covers paid sick time, paid family leave, and job-protected unpaid family leave for workers needing time off from work to care for a family member or loved one with an illness, injury, or serious health condition or for those who need time off for military caregiving needs.
- Navigating Pregnancy at Work / Pregnancy Loss: Covers pregnancy discrimination, pregnancy accommodations, sick leave for prenatal appointments, and protections for workers who have experienced a miscarriage.
- Time Off for Childbirth & Bonding With a New Child: Covers paid family leave and job-protected unpaid leave for workers needing time off for childbirth and/or bonding.
- Returning to Work After Childbirth & Pumping at Work: Covers laws regarding pumping at work, paid sick time if you or your children get sick, and caregiver discrimination.