About the Helpline
ABB is a national, nonprofit legal advocacy organization. Our free and confidential legal helpline can help you understand your workplace rights around caring for yourself and your family members.
What We Do
We assist workers nationwide facing various issues at work related to:
- sick leave;
- family and medical leave;
- pregnancy discrimination;
- accommodations for pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions;
- discrimination based on being a parent or other caregiver;
- fair scheduling; and
- equal pay (including inquiries from potential employers about salary history).
If you have questions about the law as it relates to the issues listed above, we can give you clear, understandable answers about what the law is and how it has been used.
ABB’s consultations are for information only. We can discuss possible options with workers seeking legal advice and/or representation.
What We Don’t Do
We do not provide legal advice outside of an attorney-client relationship. This means that unless and until we are in a formal attorney-client relationship, we, for example, cannot offer a legal opinion on the strength of your potential legal claims or tell you what you should do in your personal situation. If you are seeking representation, we can discuss possible options.
We are not a government enforcement agency, and we do not process legal complaints.
We are not affiliated with any business, and we do not process requests for workplace leave.
Contacting the Helpline
To reach the helpline, call 1-833-NEED-ABB (1-833-633-3222). You will typically need to leave a message. You may also contact the helpline through our online contact form (below).
We will typically call or e-mail you back within two business days (Monday through Friday) — but our response time may be longer during the coronavirus crisis. Either an attorney or a helpline staff member will respond to you. You will receive clear and understandable answers about your workplace rights, and if needed, we may be able to connect you with an attorney for legal advice.
If you contact us via our online contact form, we may request additional information or request to speak with you by phone in order to best address your questions.
Everything you tell us is confidential and we will keep it private.
The information provided in response to a helpline inquiry does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If, after initial consultation, ABB chooses to represent you, then a retainer will be signed setting out the scope of the representation.
COVID-19 UPDATE: If you have questions about your workplace rights when affected by the pandemic, we encourage you to review the below FAQs, which may answer your questions.
- FAQ: What are my rights to emergency paid sick leave and emergency paid family leave under the federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)?
- FAQ: What are my rights if I am pregnant and working or have had a recent change in my employment status?
- FAQ: What are my leave rights and benefits during COVID-19 as a worker in New York?