About the Helpline
ABB is a national, nonprofit legal advocacy organization. Our free and confidential legal helpline can help you understand your workplace rights around caring for yourself and your family members.
What We DoWe assist workers nationwide facing various issues at work related to:
- sick leave;
- family and medical leave;
- pregnancy discrimination;
- accommodations for pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions;
- discrimination based on being a parent or other caregiver;
- fair scheduling; and
- equal pay (including inquiries from potential employers about salary history).
What We Don’t DoWe do not provide legal advice outside of an attorney-client relationship. This means that unless and until we are in a formal attorney-client relationship, we, for example, cannot offer a legal opinion on the strength of your potential legal claims or tell you what you should do in your personal situation. If you are seeking representation, we can discuss possible options. We are not a government enforcement agency, and we do not process legal complaints. We are not affiliated with any business, and we do not process requests for workplace leave.
Contacting the Helpline
To reach the helpline, please fill out the online contact form below.
If you have questions about your workplace rights when affected by the pandemic, we encourage you to review the below FAQs, which may answer your questions.
- FAQ: What are my rights to emergency paid sick leave and emergency paid family leave under the federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)?
- FAQ: What are my rights if I am pregnant and working or have had a recent change in my employment status?
- FAQ: What are my leave rights and benefits during COVID-19 as a worker in New York?
Please note that the federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) is currently set to expire on December 31, 2020. Depending on where you work, you may have sick time rights under state or local law. For more information, visit this page: https://www.abetterbalance.org/paid-sick-time-laws/.
For more information about your workplace laws related to the COVID-19 global pandemic, visit our online resource page.
For more information about Paid Family Leave in New York state, visit our online resource, FamilyLeaveWorks.
For more information, about workplace laws related to pregnancy, parenting, and family caregiving, visit our online resource, Babygate.