Victory for Workers!
The Earned Safe and Sick Time Act went into effect in New York City on April 1, 2014. A Better Balance and its partners fought hard for this legislation, and you made it happen by supporting our rallies and sharing your stories. Now find out how to enforce your rights under the law.
Until now, workers in NYC have been forced to make an impossible choice all too often: forgo a day’s pay and possibly even risk losing their jobs if they do not come to work because of personal or family illness, injuries, or health needs. A Better Balance believes that getting the flu should not spell financial disaster for your household. Here’s what you can do to enforce your rights, take care of your family, and help others struggling to achieve the same rights.
Understand the Law
- Get answers to the Top 8 Frequently Asked Questions about the Earned Safe and Sick Time Act (and click here for our FAQs in Spanish).
- Download (and share!) our one-page flyer on the law (available in Spanish as well) and a “know your rights” brochure with additional information.
- Read our domestic workers fact sheet (available in Spanish as well) for more in-depth information.
- Check out our blog posts on paid sick time in NYC in our “Paid Sick Time Blog Series.”
- Three sick time bills have been passed into law by the New York City Council, and together they comprise the full Earned Safe and Sick Time Act. To download the law, click here.
Do you have questions about the law and whether or not you are covered? Has your employer not let you take sick time? Have you been fired or punished for taking (or trying to take) sick time?
The New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) enforces the law. A Better Balance can provide you with legal advice if you believe the law has been violated or if you have questions about how to file a complaint with DCA. You can contact DCA by emailing PaidSickLeave@dca.nyc.gov or calling 311 and asking for information about the paid sick time law (if you are outside NYC, call 212-NEW-YORK). DCA can answer inquiries in multiple languages.