Which matters more: your job or your family?
No one should have to choose.
We all hope we can care for our loved ones when they need us the most. Yet for many workers, especially those with the fewest resources, a new baby or seriously ill family member can spell financial ruin. Gaps in our laws leave too many women and families on the brink. It doesn’t have to be this way. A Better Balance leverages the power of the law to ensure that no worker has to make the impossible choice between their job and their family. When all working parents and caregivers have a fair shot in the workplace, our families, our communities, and our nation are healthier and stronger.
We joined with our partners and the U.S. Chamber in a joint letter announcing their endorsement, calling the PWFA “a balanced approach to ensuring that pregnant employees have the maximum opportunity to stay in the workplace, which is critical to the economic security of America’s women and families.” The letter states that the PWFA will remedy extensive confusion, providing businesses with clarity regarding their obligations to accommodate pregnant workers.
Washington State’s paid family and medical leave program officially went live on January 1. Workers can now receive benefits for up to 12 weeks for medical leave or family leave, up to a total of 16 weeks of benefits in a 52-week period. Nearly all employees in the state are covered, including both public and private sector workers, and self-employed workers can opt in to coverage.
ABB In The Media
- Debate over paid family and medical leave heats up at Tennessee Capitol, FOX17 Nashville, 1/16/2020
- Improving federal law for pregnant workers (Op-Ed), The Hill, 1/15/2020
- ‘Long Overdue’ Pregnant Workers Fairness Act Advances From Committee, Forbes, 1/14/2020
- Pro-business lobby endorses bill to protect pregnant workers, The Hill, 1/14/2020
- Fighting for overdue protections for pregnant workers, CBS Sunday Morning, 1/12/2020
- Cuomo wants NY employers to provide paid sick leave to workers, Auburn Citizen, 1/10/2020
- Senators Propose New Protections For Breastfeeding Workers, HuffPost, 1/9/2020
- CITY STICKS HOME HEALTH CARE AGENCIES FOR VIOLATING PAID SICK LEAVE LAW, The City, 1/9/2020