Which matters more: your job or your family?
No one should have to choose.
We all hope we can care for our loved ones when they need us the most. Yet for many workers, especially those with the fewest resources, a new baby or seriously ill family member can spell financial ruin. Gaps in our laws leave too many women and families on the brink. It doesn’t have to be this way. A Better Balance leverages the power of the law to ensure that no worker has to make the impossible choice between their job and their family. When all working parents and caregivers have a fair shot in the workplace, our families, our communities, and our nation are healthier and stronger.
The bill would make it illegal for Maine employers to discriminate against pregnant workers by denying them reasonable accommodations, if they can make those accommodations without undue hardship.
We’re fighting to change that, state by state, by passing paid family & medical laws that include all caregivers and their loved ones.
ABB In The Media
- Albany County defeats law that would give employees paid sick days, Albany Times-Union, 6/11/2019
- Editorial: Pregnancy discrimination looms large at UCLA, forces women out of academia, Daily Bruin, 6/6/2019
- EPISODE 10: PAID LEAVE: WE CAN DO BETTER., The Double Shift, 6/3/2019
- Portability Makes Some Paid Leave Programs Good for Gig Workers, Bloomberg Law, 5/24/2019
- How Freelancing Parents Can Create Maternity or Paternity Leave, The New York Times, 5/21/2019
- How to Ask for Parental Leave When You’re an Hourly Worker, The New York Times, 5/21/2019
- How to Ask for Maternity or Paternity Leave When Your Company Has No Policy, The New York Times, 5/21/2019
- More women in the workforce will keep Tennessee’s economy growing, The Tennessean, 5/17/2019