Director of Development
A Better Balance: The Work and Family Legal Center is seeking a Director of Development to provide leadership to help diversify and expand its funding base. The organization’s mission is to promote equality and choices for men and women at all income levels so they can care for their families without sacrificing their economic security. Since its founding in 2006, A Better Balance has grown from a handful of individuals to a $2 million budget and 13-person national organization with offices in New York and Nashville. Through policy advocacy, legal services and strategic litigation, and enforcement and education, ABB is improving workers’ lives at the local, state, and federal levels . The organization has fought for and won victories in improved paid leave, equal pay, pregnancy and caregiver protection, breastfeeding accommodations, LGBTQ policy protection, and other issues throughout the country.
A Better Balance has grown significantly in the past 10 years, and recently completed a three-year development plan to diversify funding and build a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization. We currently receive substantial foundation funding from a small group of funders, and are seeking a talented and experienced development professional to lead efforts, working with the two Co-Presidents, staff, and Board to build a broader base by: (a) attracting new foundation funders; (b) developing a major individual donor base and increasing support from family foundations; and (c) increasing the presence and proceeds from the annual fundraising benefit.
The Director of Development will: provide overall direction, coordination, and implementation of the organization’s fund-raising operations; be empowered to work directly with Board members to expand their participation; and will supervise a Grants Manager (to be hired by this Director), the fundraising work of the current Development and Communications Associate, and any fundraising consultants that might be needed. S/he will report directly to the Co-Presidents, with lines of authority to them clearly delineated.
- Facilitate creation of fund-raising plans, including annual and long-term income goals and strategies, in consultation with the Co-Presidents, other senior managers, and the Board.
- Manage and monitor all day-to-day development activities, implementation of development plans and budgets, and overseeing and/or establishing development office systems and procedures.
- Manage efforts to expand the foundation fund-raising program, including identifying and cultivating new prospects, overseeing development of proposals and reports, supporting the Co-President’s outreach to prospects and donors, and going on visits alone and with staff and/or Board members.
- Create and direct the individual donor program, including launching a new effort to attract more major donors, directly cultivating and soliciting wealthy individuals, advising and coaching the Co-Presidents, staff, and Board members on their solicitations, and creating a prospect cultivation and donor stewardship program.
- Direct and build on the successful annual fundraising gala to increase its publicity value and funding from individuals, law firms, businesses, unions, and others; manage the work of members of the Board, chairs and honorees, other volunteers, and the Co-Presidents to ensure a successful event.
- Ensure the overall quality of A Better Balance’s fund-raising, communications and promotional materials.
- Motivate, involve, and support the staff and Board in successfully raising funds and in incorporating a deepened culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Meet regularly with the Co-Presidents, report to the Board on fundraising successes and challenges, participate in staff meetings, and contribute to the overall growth and learning of the organization
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong commitment to A Better Balance’s mission
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience directing development efforts in a non-profit organization
- Understanding and experience of the use of systemic legal and policy advocacy to change lives
- An innovative strategic thinker with demonstrated success in the creation and implementation of development plans and strategies
- Experience and track record in designing and leading efforts to raise funds from foundations, wealthy individual donors, and businesses, including personally soliciting donors and funders
- Experience designing and managing fund-raising events (including working with a consultant)
- A strong manager with a focus on producing results
- Works well with people, and engenders trust and confidence from colleagues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent planning and organization skills and attention to detail
- Energetic, organized, a team player; a “roll up your sleeves and do what’s needed” kind of person
Full Time Equivalent
Full time (40 hours per week)
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A Better Balance has an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, paid vacation, sick and personal time and paid family and medical leave. We are committed to “walking our talk” and encourage a healthy work/life balance for all employees.
Applications will be considered immediately. Please direct all inquiries to Rachel Sica, via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references electronically.
A Better Balance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.