Current 1L and 2L law students with their own funding are invited to apply for a 2020 summer internship at A Better Balance (ABB) in our Washington, DC office.
A Better Balance is a national legal advocacy organization that is a leader in the movement to reshape laws and policies to fit the needs of today’s workforce. ABB’s mission is to promote equality and expand choices for men and women at all income levels so they may care for their families without sacrificing their economic security. ABB works on the national and local level employing a wide range of strategies — legislative advocacy, litigation, direct services, grassroots organizing, research and public education — to promote flexible workplace policies, end discrimination against caregivers, and support family caregiving.
Since its founding in 2005, ABB has been at the forefront of a movement to fight for family-friendly laws and policies. We focus on a variety of issues, such as: family leave insurance, paid sick leave, and fairness for working families. We support paid sick leave campaigns at the state and local level around the country, and are at the center of efforts for implementing paid family leave in New York State. Our program to end discrimination against pregnant women, LGBTQ families, and those with caregiving responsibilities focuses on national and local advocacy as well as individual representation. We run a free legal advice and counseling hotline for low-income New Yorkers who face employment law issues because of their caregiving responsibilities or because of a violation of New York City’s Earned Sick Time Act.
ABB pushes for public policy reform on a range of issues, such as ending abusive absence-control policies, supporting predictable scheduling, expanding recognition of diverse families, promoting workplace flexibility for employees across the economic spectrum, and valuing the work of all family caregivers, whether they care for a newborn, a sick child, an aging relative, or a family member with a disability. A Better Balance is also working on the front lines with advocates and elected officials across the country, using the power of the law to defend progressive local policies against state and federal preemption.
- Demonstrated commitment to work/family law and policy, reproductive justice, women’s rights, civil rights, LGBTQ rights and/or advocacy for low-income individuals.
- Excellent written and oral communication, advocacy, research, and analytic skills.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated problem solving, prioritizing, time management, team-building, and organizational skills.
• Conducting legal research and writing to support A Better Balance’s policy advocacy, direct services, and/or litigation work
• Assisting with drafting legislation and supporting materials
• Drafting know-your-rights materials to support A Better Balance’s community education efforts and assisting with know-your-rights trainings for workers and/or advocates
• Participating in legislator education efforts, campaign rallies, and/or public hearings to advance public policies benefiting working families
• Other tasks as needed to support A Better Balance’s various advocacy efforts
How to Apply:
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and list of references with the subject line “[FIRST NAME] [LAST NAME] 2020 Summer Internship Application – DC Office” to Sarah Brafman, sbrafman@
A Better Balance is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, family status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.