Every woman deserves the opportunity to work to support her family without risking the health of her pregnancy.
Yet pregnant workers, especially those in low-wage and physically demanding jobs, are routinely forced to choose between their health and a paycheck. Pregnancy should not be an obstacle in the workplace.
In states and cities across the country, we have helped pregnant women secure a clear right to reasonable workplace accommodations–the same right afforded to workers with disabilities under federal law. We are pushing to expand this right to every corner of the country. A woman’s wellbeing and financial security should not depend upon luck or location.
The Federal Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
Inspired by an A Better Balance Op-Ed in the New York Times, Congress introduced the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act (PWFA) in 2012. The PWFA would ensure that pregnant workers are not fired unnecessarily or denied reasonable job modifications that can help them keep working while maintaining a healthy pregnancy. The bill was reintroduced with bipartisan support for the first time in 2015 and ABB is leading a national coalition fighting to make the PWFA a reality.
State and Local Campaigns
Stronger protections for pregnant workers have gained bipartisan, and often unanimous, support at the state and local level in recent years. A Better Balance helps these local campaigns with legislative drafting, messaging, and enforcement, while also leading campaigns in areas where we have support on the ground.
Enforcing the Rights of Pregnant Workers
ABB is dedicated to enforcing the laws we have helped to pass, such as the New York City Pregnant Workers Fairness Act, and ensuring our clients obtain justice when they face discrimination. We are also supporting workers in legal efforts against Walmart and other employers nationwide to highlight legal violations and push for stronger policies, benefitting thousands of workers at a time.
To learn more about the need for stronger protections for pregnant workers across the country, visit the ABB Resources section on Pregnant Workers Fairness.
Here you’ll get a wealth of information, including:
- Fact sheets about the federal Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
- How To Talk To Your Boss About Your Bump in every state
- Materials about your rights under the New York City Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
- Where to find help if you suspect pregnancy discrimination on the job
- Up-to-date information on new laws and campaigns around the country advancing fairness for pregnant workers
- An analysis of the Supreme Court’s recent ruling on pregnancy discrimination, Young v. UPS
- Additional web links, reports, advocacy resources, news articles, and more